sets industry standards for quality, durability
and innovation in premium door closers. Founded
in 1926, LCN became a division of Ingersoll Rand
in 1974 and today offers a broad line of products,
including heavy-duty closers for interior and
exterior doors, with fire/life safety closers/holders
and high security manual closers available in
most configurations. LCN also provides power operators
and closers for use by people with physical challenges.
These innovative door closers offer a wide range
of applications in schools, healthcare facilities,
sports arenas, government and commercial settings.
Closers was founded by Lewis C. Norton, who invented
the door closer in the U.S. and gave his initials
to the manufacturing company he founded in the
1870's on the East Coast. The first units were
mounted on the doors of the Boston Trinity Church
in 1877 and are still in use today. IN 1926, L.C.
Norton and D.R. Lasier formed the Norton Lasier
Company and built the first plant in Chicago,
selling door closers under the LCN trademark.
After World War II, LCN moved to Princeton, feeling
a move to rural Illinois would be adventurous.
So in 1949, the LCN plant was built on West Railroad
Avenue. BY 1950, the entire operation was moved
from Chicago to Princeton. About 20 experienced
employees moved with the plant, leaving 50 new
jobs to be filled by Princeton area residents.
Currently, LCN employs about 450 people.
Since 1950, the company has produced a variety
of door closers ranging from surface-mounted and
concealed closers as well as security closers
used in prisons and correctional facilities. Currently,
the Company has over 35 different series of closers
and many other door hardware products including
pivots and hinge guards.
LCN closers are designed to have an operating
life of 15 to 20 years. They are used in schools,
hospitals, stores, churches, office buildings
and factories nationwide.
While developing new products to fill our markets
needs, LCN continues producing their popular closers
that were designed almost 40 years ago and still
provide a large part of our volume.
In 1994, LCN expanded its facility by almost 20,000
sq. ft. to now encompass over 180,000 sq. ft.
There have been over 23 additions made to the
factory since LCN was built in 1949. Beginning
with a building area of only 4,851 sq. ft., LCN
is almost 37 times its original space.
With the passing of the Americans with Disabilities
Act, AutoEqualizers have played a great role in
aiding those with disabilities. These power operators'
automatically open and close doors when actuated.
Offering both a pneumatic and electric version,
LCN has assisted building owners and architects
with meeting their ADA requirements as will as
providing easy access for the frail, elderly or
disabled. Manual closers are also available with
reduced opening force to meet ADA requirements
Since 1926, LCN has specialized in solving door
control problems through the use of high quality,
innovative door control products. By adhering
to high standards of performance, LCN has earned
a leadership role within the industry and is committed
to meeting door control challenges of the future.